Carpet is a kind of floor covering material which is laid over the floor of the guest room, halls, staircase etc. It is thick woven material used to cover the floor surface which is also used as floor decorative piece and produces an impression of comfort and luxury. it is the most expensive single item of furnishing in a room. Carpet may be found natural, artificial or the combination of both. Carpet can be made from different material like fur, wool, jute, nylon, synthetic etc. It is a kind of floor covering which is widely used in guest room, banquet, business center etc. The quality of the carpet depends upon the standard and the investment.
Purpose of Carpeting
- Carpeting keeps the plate warm.
- It prevents the generation of noise at the floor level.
- It is aimed at providing a good look and great ambiance.
- It reduces the hazard of slipping and reduces the danger of injury.
- It produces an impression of luxury and comfort.
Component of carpet/Parts of carpet
1. Pile: It is the topmost decorative part of the carpet which we can see, touch, feel and walk over. It is made up of fur, wool, nylon, or synthetic.
2. Primary Backing: It is made up of jute and synthetic which holds the pile tightly.
3. Secondary Backing: It is the bottom most part of the carpet which supports the primary backing made up of just, synthetic, rubber or sponge which saves the carpet from dampness.
Types of Carpet
1. Woven Carpet
These are the hand-made carpet which is especially made up of wool. This is a traditional type of carpet which is made by human hands. It requires long time and hard labor to build it up. So, it is comparatively expensive than other carpet. Secondary backing is not found in this type of carpet because primary backing and the face/pile are woven at the same time. It is available in limited pattern and size. It is not suitable for wall to wall carpeting. These kinds of carpet are very popular and expensive than tufted carpet. Nepal is one of the famous country for the production of woven carpet.
2. Tufted /Non -Woven carpet
These are the carpets which are not made by the human hands. In fact, they are made by the special machine. These kinds of carpet are constructed by the special machine. These kinds of carpets are constructed in very faster way and are cheaper than the woven carpet. It is constructed with 100% synthetic fiber blended with wool. Pile is inserted into the primary backing by the series of long needle and the loop is formed. In order to hold the backing material, adhesive is used. Non-woven carpet can be used for wall to wall carpeting.
Common carpet problems
1. Pile distortion: This is a normal problem of the pile distortion carpet which losses its twists, fibers can become pilled, twisted, crushed, flared and matted. Pile distortion occurs when the carpet receives heavy foot or equipment traffic or improper cleaning method.
2. Shading: Avoid brushing or vacuuming the pile in a carpet in two different directions because of the shading, carryout vacuuming in one particular direction (single motion) to reduce a shading problem. Shading occurs due to the improper cleaning method.
3. Fading: The carpet will become dull or colorless than its original color when exposing to the sun or due to repeatation of the movement or tear and wear. Its premature fading may occur if the cleaner does not use proper cleaning techniques.
4. Wicking: Wicking is absorbing the dampness by the carpet. Wicking occurs when the backing of the carpet became wet or moist. This occurs most frequently in injured backed carpet that has a light color face Fiber.
5. Mildew: Mildew is a form of fungus infection in the carpet when moisture allows moulds in the carpet to grow. It causes stain odors and rotting. Proper cleaning techniques that avoid over wetting the carpet can help to prevent mildew from followings and keep the carpet dry.